Osprey Publishing’s Gaslands game is one of my favorite tabletop games at the moment, it’s cheap, fun and easy to get into and perfect for 3D printing, whether it be accessories, gaming tokens, terrain or digital kitbashing entire vehicles, the possibilities are endless. What is Gaslands you ask? Well according to the official site:
Shoot, ram, skid and loot your way through the ruins of civilisation with Gaslands, a tabletop wargame of car-on-car destruction in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Players control small fleets of armed vehicles in battles for resources, dominance and survival.
Getting Started with Gaslands:
To get started with Gaslands, you’ll need the rules (which are getting a hardcover release with Gaslands Refueled in September 2019) you’ll need a rulebook at a bare minimum which you can purchase off amazon, as well as the following which you can purchase, or create yourself.
- Gaslands Rulebook
- Skid Dice
- Six Sided Dice
- Movement Templates
- Ammo, Hazard and Vote Tokens
- Matchbox or Hot Wheels toy cars
Other things to consider, but aren’t “needed” are a gaming mat, which you could just make out of felt or fabric, or go for a fully printed one such as this 36″x36″ one or 48″x48″ one from Inked Playmats. You’ll also want to join the Gaslands group on facebook, where you’ll find rules updates and clarifications, and lots of inspiration for modding your Gaslands cars (the creator of the game is even an active poster in the group!) – it’s also worth checking out Gaslands Conversions on Facebook, r/gaslands/ and r/gaslandsplayers/ on reddit . Then head over to the official downloads page and download everything!
Check out this GMG overview of how to play Gaslands below:
And heres a great review of the updated version that’s forthcoming in September 2019 – Gaslands: Refuelled that takes the original book, with added features from the free Time Extended Supplements and puts it all together in a nice, edited hardcover book, i’ve already got mine pre ordered from the FLGS:
3D Printing for Gaslands
Below you’ll find a tonne of 3D printed files categorized to make it easy to find what you want, you can also check out my Thingiverse Gaslands/Car Wars collection here it’s the largest collection of Gaslands related files on Thingiverse.
Cars & Motorbikes
Obviously Gaslands is designed so that you can use Matchbox of Hot Wheels cars that you can pick up for around $1-2 each, due to this low price point, you don’t *need* to print your cars, trucks and buggies, but, with 3D printing it opens up plenty of opportunities especially when it comes to motorbikes.
- Gaslands Buggy by KarnageKing
- Gaslands Bikers by KarnageKing
- Mini Gaslands Vehicles by Frugalshave
- Gaslands Classic Sedan Car by ChrisM112
- Gaslands Atomic Battle Car by ChrisM112
- Gaslands Classic Muscle Car by ChrisM112
- Gaslands Military Truck by ChrisM112
- Gaslands Post Apoc Performance Car by ChrisM112
- Gaslands: Guertin Industries JP2000 Combat Trike by jpri69
- Gaslands: Guertin Industries JP3000 Quad Rotor Gyrocopter by jpri69
- Bike Rider with Gun Miniature by Mylakovich
Weapons Packs & Upgrades
One of the most fun things about Gaslands is modding your toy cars. Some people use weapons from their bits box (ork weapons are perfect), but if you are planning on making a lot of cars (and you will), then printing some of the weapons packs and upgrades available online are a great idea. It looks like North Star Games might have a sprue available soon with the release of Refueled as well.
- Gaslands Weapons by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Car Upgrades by Sablebadger
- Gaslands/Car Wars/Diecast Car Addons by h0unskull
- Gaslands Wheel Upgrades by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Wheels by Pokcz
- Gaslands Saw Wheels by acureulix
- Gaslands Mud and Rock Wheels by acureulix
- Gaslands Sand and Water Wheels by acureulix
- Car Engine 1/64 by Runoved
- Gaslands/Car Wars/Diecast motors, engines and vents by h0unskull
- Gaslands/Car Wars/Diecast armour additions by h0unskull
- Gaslands Machine Gun by Wokstation
- Gaslands Weapons Mix by tinnut
- Gaslands Multiple Machine Gun Mount by Allena
- Gaslands Side Mounted Rocket Launchers by Allenda
- Gaslands 125mm Cannons by Tinnut
- Turret Weapons for Gaslands by Tinnut
- Gaslands Magnetic Jammer by hcker2000
- Gatling for Gaslands by pp025
- Rocket Launcher Weapon by runoved
- Machine Gun Weapon by runoved
- Gaslands 16mm Wheel by amwatts
Templates & Tokens
Gaslands is a template based game, similar to X-Wing, and you must have all of the movement templates. These can be photocopied form the book, printed using the downloadable templates, cut from acrylic or wood if you have a laser cutter, or printed using a FDM printer. Other useful things are tokens for wrecked, flaming or destroyed vehicles.
- Gaslands Movement Templates by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Minimal Templates by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Templates by Earthbinder
- Gaslands Tokens by Tabletop Gaming Fun
- Gaslands Tray by Kayamsil
- Gaslands Weapons Templates by KINGYELLOWJACKET
- Gaslands Wrecked Marker by Spankytaz
- Gaslands Explosion Marker by Spankytaz
- Gaslands Zombie Bash Tokens by gametree3dprintscenics
- Gaslands Custom Tokens by danlicata
- Gaslands Templates Tokens and Accessories by phlash
If you aren’t going to purchase dice online or from your FLGS, you can use blank dice and print the faces, laser engrave them on a laser cutter, or 3D print them. Ideally you’d want to print in resin or print without a raft on a glass bed if FDM for best quality.
- Gaslands Dice by Ksatill
- Gaslands Dice and Tokens by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Tokens by Davelandry
- Gaslands Bullet and Skid Dice by sablebadger
- Gaslands Gear Turn Counter by Syllology
- Gaslands Dice by moizilla
3D Printed Terrain for Gaslands
You don’t need a lot of terrain for Gaslands, but a bit of scatter really does make a difference. For most scenarios though you will need some gates. Luckily there are plenty of great 3D printed gate options available, as well as a variety of scatter terrain to use. Make sure you print yourself gates 1-3 as well as a Start and Finish line to get started first.
- Gaslands Gates by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Gates Pt 2 by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Gate by Omensign
- Gaslands Race Gate by SpankyTaz
- Gaslands Simple Gantry Gate by klitch72
- Gaslands Toll Booth by Syllology
- Gaslands Raceway Fencing by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Shipping Containers by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Damaged Shipping Container by lroshek
- Gaslands Sinking Container by lroshek
- Gaslands Scatter Terrain by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Billboard by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Senty/Autoturrets by Sablebadger
- Gaslands Vidscreen Gate Obstacles by Wasteland Scenics
- Gaslands Start and Finish Lines by SpankyTaz
Dashboards and accessories
While you can use the dashboards that are provided in the back of the book (and on the website as a free download, simply print and laminate so you can use a dry erase marker to cross out hit points), but after playing a bit, its much more manageable to have a dashboard that allows you to use dice to track hit points, gears, activation, ammo and hazards.
- Gaslands Dashboard by jpri69
- Gaslands Game Tracker by jpri69
- Gaslands Skid Dice Tray by jpri69
- Gaslands Vehicle Dice Template by tabletop-terrain
- Gaslands Vehicle Dashboard by stevenweathers
- Gaslands Gear Phase Tach by steveisbig
- Gaslands Minimalist Dashboard by fushaz
Other cool stuff
Theres lots of other cool stuff you can add to your cars, from crew to other parts and accessories. There are plenty of great pre scaled parts, or you could have a go at rescaling to 1/64 to make them fit:
- Gaslands Crew by KarnageKing
- Gaslands Cultist Driver by KarnageKing
- Gaslands Driver Lulla by Shoebacca
- 20mm Gaslands Parts by tabletop-terrain
- Gaslands Smoke Trails by SpikeyTaz
- Gaslands Death Race Traps by flashhawk
What about Laser Cutters?
If you’ve got a laser cutter, there are also a bunch of great items you can cut from MDF or Acrylic, including terrain and templates. Check out our Laser Cut 1:64 Post Apocalyptic racing section for a selection of excellent Gaslands compatible files for sale and free download.
Friends of Gaslands
Wargaming3D.com is a “Friend of Gaslands”, meaning we support the creator each month via his Patreon page, which allows us to sell Gaslands related material on our marketplace. According to the creator of Gaslands:
If you want to produce your own accessories for Gaslands for your own personal use, then go ahead! If, however, you want to produce and sell accessories for Gaslands, then there are three rules:
You must be a Friend of Gaslands.
Game Accessories: Designing, producing and selling physical or digital tokens, cards, dice or other gaming accessories for Gaslands is permitted. Feel free to use my designs, or create your own, and sell them wherever and however you like. If you have an idea for something that isn’t on that list, just get in touch!
Miniatures: Accessories for converting toy cars (e.g. armour plates, gun turrets, weapons, crew, etc.) and Terrain or scenic elements (e.g. wrecked vehicles, race gates) are permitted. If you want to produce Full Vehicle kits (or anything else, for that matter), then please get in touch and we can discuss things in more detail.
We strongly suggest that if you are not making stuff yourself, that you ensure whatever 3rd party products are a “Friend of Gaslands” (We are still waiting for Mike to include us on the updated list!) and contributing to the continued development of the game.
What are you waiting for?
Grab a copy of gaslands and some toy cars, and get racing! 3D printed some cool stuff for Gaslands? Let us know in the comments!