The Gardner gun was an early type of mechanic machine gun invented in 1874 by William Gardner of Toledo, Ohio. Mr. Gardner had served on the Union side during the American Civil War and had witnessed the power of the Gatling gun (an effective mechanic gun consisted of six barrels mounted in a revolving frame). The success of Gatling’s automatic gun encouraged others to enter the market.
The Ordnance BL 12-pounder 6 cwt[note 1] was a lighter version of the British 12-pounder 7 cwt gun, used by the Royal Horse Artillery in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The 12-pounder 6 cwt gun was developed in 1892, when the new more powerful cordite replaced gunpowder, as a lighter version of the BL 12-pounder 7 cwt gun. It had a barrel 18 inches (460 mm) shorter, on a lighter and simpler carriage, and it entered service in 1894. In 1899 a primitive recoil-absorbing system was added. The weapon was made obsolete in British service by the acquisition of the modern quick-firing Ehrhardt QF 15-pounder in 1901, and was replaced by that and later by the QF 13-pounder from 1905.